Friday, January 30, 2009

La Llegada!

I am here in Nica! I have a really nerve-wracking night in the Miami airport hotel, and then met up with 6 other students in the airport before taking our group flight. All of the other students met with us here. There are only 11 in total! We took a bus to the Casa San Juan hotel, which is very nice. There is actually air conditioning in the room! and cable tv! Insanity. We had a great moment before dinner sipping cervesas on the patio of the hotel under the stars on rocking chairs with a nice breeze blowing. I can get used to this country.

We started our orientation stuff, and our program director, Ayn, seems really wonderful. I am exhausted and sticky from all the sweat already, and apparently it is still really cool. Can't wait for the hot months!

Okay, I will write more details about everything when I can, but for now my roomie I think would much rather chat (and get a chance to use her computer). Tomorrow we get to check out our barrio and the program center, and Sunday is our HALF HOUR LONG interviews (which are taped!) for spanish class placement. terrifying.

love you, Walla Walla and Los Angeles!

2 comments:

  1. I love YOU! I'm REALLY sorry we didn't get to talk before you left; every day now, it seems, I think of something to tell you or call you about, and realize I can't. :( But hey! Expect something in the mail soon. Hope you're tolerating the heat & having the time of your life! TAKE PICTURES.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well? Well? How did your interview go? What Spanish level were you placed in?

    I'm so glad you're blogging, Rachel. I really don't know any specifics about your program in Nicaragua, so I look forward to learning lots about it!

    Love,
    your aunt

    ReplyDelete